As a county we’re extremely late to this particular party – with the action in both Dublin and Kerry already underway – but this coming weekend the first round of Mayo club Championship matches will be played, with a full set of fixtures at Senior, Intermediate and Junior levels.
Here’s a quick run-down of what’s on as well as handy links for tickets and all that.
Starting with the Senior Championship, the Group 1 meeting between Breaffy and Ballina Stephenities, which throws in at 2.15pm on Sunday at Breaffy, will be televised live by TG4. The other tie in that group, a tasty local derby between Mayo Gaels and Balla, gets underway at Mayo Abbey that afternoon at 4.30pm.
In Group 2 the action takes place on Saturday evening with both fixtures throwing in at 6.30pm. Westport begin their defence of the Moclair Cup that evening with a home match against Charlestown, while Claremorris host Ballaghaderreen in the other match.
It’s Sunday afternoon for the opening round matches in Group 3. Cong is the venue for The Neale’s game against Ballintubber (throw-in 1pm) while Belmullet host Garrymore at Tallagh at 3.30pm.
In Group 4 there’s a real heavyweight clash on Saturday evening – that’s the meeting of Knockmore and Castlebar Mitchels. This one gets underway at 6.30pm on Saturday in St Joseph’s Park. Then on Sunday it’s the East Mayo derby meeting of Aghamore and newly-promoted Ballyhaunis, a match that throws in at Aghamore at 4pm that afternoon. Both of these matches are being streamed live by Mayo GAA TV.
The first round fixtures in the Intermediate Championship are as follows:
- GROUP 1: Davitts v Parke/Keelogues/Crimlin (Saturday 5pm at Davitts); Islandeady v Bonniconlon (Saturday 5pm at Islandeady).
- GROUP 2: Kiltimagh v Louisburgh (Friday 8pm at Connacht CoE – LIVE on MAYO GAA TV); Kilmeena v Ardnaree (Saturday 5pm at Kilmeena).
- GROUP 3: Kiltane v Hollymount/Carramore (Saturday 5pm at Bangor Erris); Burrishoole v Ballinrobe (Saturday 6.30pm at Newport).
- GROUP 4: Crossmolina Deel Rovers v Kilmaine (Saturday 6.30pm at St Tiernan’s Park); Castlebar Mitchels B v Bohols Moy Davitts (Sunday 2pm at Josie Munnelly Park).
In the Junior Championship the Round 1 ties are as follows:
- GROUP 1: Northern Gaels v Ballycastle (at Kilfian) and Tourmakeady v Shrule Glencorrib (at Tourmakeady), both matches on Sunday 1pm.
- GROUP 2: Achill (bye) and Cill Chomain v Ardagh (Saturday 6.30pm at Cill Chomain).
- GROUP 3: Killala (bye) and Eastern Gaels v Kilmovee (Sunday 2pm at Brickens).
- GROUP 4: Moygownagh v Lahardane MacHales (at Moygownagh) and Ballycroy v Swinford (at Ballycroy), both matches on Saturday 6.30pm.
If you’re planning on going to one (or more) of these matches, you’ll need to buy your tickets in advance. Mayo GAA have provided a handy sets of links for ticketing relating to all the weekend’s matches and you’ll find that here.
The club season pass, costing €100 and providing unlimited access to all Championship matches at all grades up to and including county finals, is still available but today (Monday) is the closing date for this offer so, if you’re planning on getting the season pass, you’ll need to do it now. The link for that is here.
If instead you’re planning on following the action from the couch then Mayo GAA TV is clearly the place to go. Their season pass is on offer for €90 with weekend passes (€20) and match passes (€10) also available. The link for that is here.
Finally, we’re cranking up for the club Championships today on the Mayo Football podcast. We’ll have a bumper Championship preview pod up today featuring Westport’s Lee Keegan, Balla’s Ger Flanagan and Aghamore’s Paddy Finnegan. That’ll be up on Patreon a bit later on. Details on how to listen to the show are here.