This weekend saw the start of the 2016 football championship at inter-county level – with action in both Leinster and Ulster – and The Sunday Game will be starting on TV most likely before I’m done here. It’s club action, though, I want to deal with briefly here, as this weekend also saw the first round of matches played in this year’s county club senior and intermediate championships on home soil.
Two clubs who featured in Croke Park finals earlier this year – Castlebar Mitchels and Hollymount/Carramore – started with a splash yesterday evening. Defending Moclair Cup champions Mitchels crushed Crossmolina by 3-13 to 0-9 in their Group 3 opener while Hollymount/Carramore announced their arrival on the senior scene in the best possible fashion, edging out recent champs Ballintubber by a point on a scoreline of 3-3 to 0-11.
Tubber’s loss means that they’re already up against it in Group 2, which also features Aghamore and Charlestown. Those two clubs met yesterday at Fr O’Hara Park where the visitors recorded an eye-catching 3-15 to 0-8 victory.
Photo: Aghamore GAA (via Facebook)
Back in Group 3, meanwhile, Ballina Stephenites were out smartly from the traps this afternoon. They crushed Ballinrobe by 4-12 to 1-5 at Flanagan Park, where the home side’s cause wasn’t helped by the dismissal of Donal Vaughan.
Big things are expected this year, perhaps unfairly, of Breaffy and so it was vital that they got off to a good start in Group 1. This they managed to do, recording a 1-9 to 0-6 win on home turf over Garrymore, while Davitts got the better of neighbours Claremorris by 3-8 to 1-8 in the same group.
Group 4 saw the only draw in the weekend’s senior championship fixtures, with Kiltane and Knockmore sharing the spoils, 1-4 to 0-7, at Bangor Erris. Ballaghaderreen, who beat Ballyhaunis by 1-12 to 0-12, lead the way in Group 4 after round one.
Here are all the SFC and IFC results from the weekend:
Senior Football Championship
- Group 1: Breaffy 1-9 Garrymore 0-6 (at Breaffy); Claremorris 1-8 Davitts 3-8 (Claremorris).
- Group 2: Charlestown 0-8 Aghamore 3-15 (Fr O’Hara Park); Ballintubber 0-11 Hollymount/Carramore 3-3 (Ray Prendergast Memorial Park).
- Group 3: Castlebar Mitchels 3-13 Crossmolina Deel Rovers 0-9 (Josie Munnelly Park); Ballinrobe 1-5 Ballina Stephenites 4-12 (Flanagan Park).
- Group 4: Ballaghaderreen 1-12 Ballyhaunis 0-12 (Ballaghaderreen); Kiltane 1-4 Knockmore 0-7 (Bangor Erris).
Intermediate Football Championship
- Group 1: Kiltimagh 3-14 Swinford 0-9 (Gilmartin Park); Bohola Moy Davitts 1-17 Tourmakeady 0-5 (Foxford).
- Group 2: Ardnaree Sarsfields 2-7 Westport 0-15 (Ardnaree); Shrule/Glencorrib 2-12 Castlebar Mitchels B 1-14 (Glencorrib).
- Group 3: Belmullet 0-14 Bonniconlon 0-6 (Belmullet); Mayo Gaels 0-9, Burrishoole 0-10 (Mayo Abbey).
- Group 4: Islandeady 0-12 Parke/Keelogues/Crimlin 0-12 (Islandeady); The Neale 0-16 Kilmaine 1-9 (The Neale).