The group stages of the Senior, Intermediate and Junior football Championships concluded this weekend and, with all group placings now decided and the draws made for the knockout stages and the promotions play-offs, the shape of things to come over the next few weeks is a whole lot clearer.
There wasn’t much in the way of Round 3 suspense in the SFC. Castlebar Mitchels encountered stubborn resistance from Ballyhaunis before they emerged with a two-point win and Ballintubber slugged it out with Garrymore this afternoon, eventually winning by two points as well.
This made Charlestown Sarsfields’ win over Ballaghaderreen the result of the round. It secured a knockout place for Charlestown for the first time since 2014, an achievement made all the sweeter for them, no doubt, by their elimination of the neighbours.
Aside from that, there were fairly routine wins for Moclair Cup holders Westport, as well as Knockmore and Ballina Stephenites. All three will harbour serious ambitions to go all the way this year. Belmullet’s big win over The Neale gives them hopes that they might be rediscovering the kind of form that carried them to a county final appearance two years ago.
Here are the Round 3 results in the SFC and what they mean in each of the four groups:
- GROUP 1: Ballina Stephenites 1-24 Balla 2-12; Breaffy 2-10 Mayo Gaels 0-9. Ballina top the group with Breaffy also qualifying as runners-up. Balla go into the relegation play-offs.
- GROUP 2: Westport 0-16 Claremorris 1-5; Charlestown Sarsfields 0-9 Ballaghaderreen 0-7. Westport win the group, with Charlestown going through as well as runners-up. Claremorris go into the relegation play-offs.
- GROUP 3: Ballintubber 0-8 Garrymore 0-6; Belmullet 3-12 The Neale 0-7. Ballintubber top the group, followed by Belmullet. The Neale go into the relegation play-offs.
- GROUP 4: Castlebar Mitchels 1-9 Ballyhaunis 0-10; Knockmore 1-13 Aghamore 0-8. Knockmore win the group on scoring difference over Castlebar Mitchels, with Ballyhaunis heading for the relegation play-offs.
The draw for the SFC quarter-finals was made this evening and here are the pairings that came out of the hat:
- Westport v Breaffy
- Charlestown Sarsfields v Knockmore
- Ballina Stephenites v Belmullet
- Castlebar Mitchels v Ballintubber
The relegation play-offs were also fixed, with Balla facing The Neale while Ballyhaunis will be up against neighbours Claremorris. The quarter-finals and relegation play-off matches will be played on the weekend after next.
Details of all the weekend’s results in the Senior, Intermediate and Junior Championships are here.
In women’s football, meanwhile, this weekend saw the first round of matches played in the LGFA Senior, Intermediate and Junior football Championships. Here are the weekend’s results:
- SFC GROUP A: Carnacon 0-7 Knockmore 0-16; Castlebar Mitchels 2-5 Hollymount 0-11
- SFC GROUP B: Burrishoole 0-7 Charlestown 0-7; Westport 1-15 Kilmovee Shamrocks
- IFC GROUP A: Moy Davitts 1-14 Ballyhaunis 2-2; Swinford Killasser 4-9 Cill Chomáin 1-10
- IFC GROUP B: Louisburgh 6-11 Davitts 2-8; MacHale Rovers 4-11 Kilmoremoy 2-8
- JFC GROUP A: Breaffy 2-5 St Brigid’s 2-15; Claremorris 12-24 The Neale 2-6
- JFC GROUP B: Kilmeena 3-10 Kiltimagh 1-10; Parke/Keelogues/Crimlin 3-6 Aghamore 7-12.