This week’s editions of the Mayo News and the Connaught Telegraph have both hit the proverbial pavement and both have plenty of new online content on Sunday’s win and all that. I’m sure the Western also has plenty in its paper version today but with no fresh online content up yet and, in the knowledge that most of it will be planked behind their paywall when it does, there’s little more I can say about what they have to say this week.
Both the Mayo News and the Connaught Telegraph have match reports on Sunday’s senior and minor games. Here are the ones in the Connaught Telegraph (senior and minor) and here are the ones in the Mayo News (senior and minor). The former also has post-match quotes from James Horan and Leitrim’s George Dugdale while the latter has quotes from Sunday’s MOTM Barry Moran.
Incidentally, it’s interesting to see George Dugdale talking about the possibility of a properly-run second tier football competition (which would need to be run differently than the ill-fated Tommy Murphy Cup). One of the main arguments for retaining the current structure is that it gives the likes of Leitrim, Sligo, Louth, Limerick, Fermanagh and counties like them a shot at provincial glory but, as we saw last Sunday, more often than not all it gives them is the painful experience of being shot to pieces. As I said in Sunday’s match report, I doubt if too many Mayo fans took much delight in what we did to Leitrim last Sunday and this short article from the excellent Leitrim GAA site shows just how tough and unrewarding it is to be on the wrong side of such a scutching.
Back to the Mayo News, meanwhile, where Mike Finnerty reports that the O’Shea brothers are on the mend and that both could feature for Breaffy at the weekend. It’d be great to have both back in contention for a place on the team to face Sligo, even if it means wrecking James Horan’s head as he tries to pick a starting fifteen for the final.
That piece also deals with what is appears to be turning into a rather tortured decision about where the Connacht final should be held. It now seems that some doubts are surfacing over whether or not Hyde Park or Pearse Stadium have the required capacity to host the decider, in which case the only option would seem to be our place with our grand big stand and our lovely inflatable elephant. Unless, of course, we try to do what the Ulster lads did some years ago by decamping to Croker. According to @MayoGAA, a decision on the venue won’t now be taken until Thursday evening.
It’s also good to hear Andy Moran (in that same article) saying “we’ve a lot of hurt from 2010” that needs to be exorcised. As I said earlier in the comments, if this were the Kerrymen they’d still be crying themselves to sleep at the anguish they’d be holding onto from such a defeat and furthermore they’d be prepping themselves to knock their opponents into outer space in order to even the score. It’s nice to think that we’ve begun to think along similar lines and we need to ramp this up a bit between now and July 15th.
Last reference to that article above – Danny Kirby has, apparently, been released from the panel. No more Four Goal exploits from the young Mitchels man this year, then, but let’s hope this isn’t the last we’ve seen of him.
If you haven’t yet seen it, please do take the time to read John Cuffe’s eloquent tribute in the Mayo News to the late Michael Gannon, a member of the All-Ireland winning minor team of 1971 who died recently in America.
Finally, for those of you interested in such activity, the Cairde Mhaigheo Mayo GAA Golf Classic is set to be held on the 13th and 14th of July (does it really take two whole days – and in summer too – to play a round of that game?): further details here.