I meant to do this before now as last week’s Mayo News had details of our provisional fixture list for next year’s League campaign. I never got around to it so here at last is the list of matches facing us in Division One next spring as we seek to defend our NFL title.
It’s a tough enough schedule too, with three home matches and four on the road, in a Division where, aside from new boys Meath, there aren’t any obvious candidates for the drop.
Here’s the list:
- ROUND 1: Donegal v MAYO, (Donegal venue), Saturday, 25th January
- ROUND 2: MAYO v Dublin, MacHale Park, Saturday, 1st February
- ROUND 3: Meath v MAYO, Páirc Tailteann, Navan, Sunday 9th February
- ROUND 4: Monaghan v MAYO, (Monaghan venue), Sunday 23rd February
- ROUND 5: MAYO v Kerry, MacHale Park, Saturday 29th February
- ROUND 6: Galway v MAYO, Pearse Stadium, Sunday 15th March
- ROUND 7: MAYO v Tyrone, MacHale Park, Sunday 22nd March
It’s worth emphasising, I guess, that these fixtures are only provisional at this stage but, if previous years are anything to go by, you can take it that it’s our confirmed schedule. Saturday evening matches tend to throw in at 7pm, Sunday games at 2pm or 2.30pm.
There’s no word yet on the pre-season FBD League schedule but I suppose we’ll be hearing the necessary details on that before too long as well.
We’ve also got details at this stage, of course, on who we’re playing first in next year’s Connacht Championship. We’ll be facing Leitrim in a preliminary round tie at Páirc Seán MacDiarmada in Carrick-on-Shannon, at some point in early May, with the winners progressing to face either Roscommon or London in the Connacht semi-final later that month.
The eagled-eyed amongst you may already have noticed that I’ve changed the fixtures and results tabs above from 2019 to 2020 and I’ve stuck those League games onto the fixtures page. We may as well be ready in good time.
By the way, if you’re wondering where all the results details for 2019 have disappeared to, you’ll be glad to know that they’re now tucked away safely in the results archive. That adds another year to the list, making it 118 years of results now contained there.